Thursday 18 April 2013

Anything Worth Cooking, Is Worth Cooking Poorly

It's is true that skill is required to cook a fabulous meal in minutes. It also requires organization and prep time. As do many things in life. I think we forget how much of what comes easily for us, was once very challenging.
For me, one of the most challenging things to learn was driving. I lived on a steep hill, in a hilly neighborhood. My parents insisted that I learn to drive a stick shift. Every time I backed out of my driveway, I said a little prayer that I would not stall and accelerate backwards down the hill crashing into the creek below our house. Not far from my home, there was an intersection with a traffic light at the top of a steep hill. For years I worried about rolling back into the car behind me.
I made plenty of mistakes. I remember going to a friends house right after getting my license. I parked, rang the bell and turned around to admire my car, only to see it rolling down the street. I ran after it as fast as I could. Fumbled to get the key into the lock. And hopped in the moving car. Hit the emergency brake. No harm done.
Today, I drive an automatic. But occasionally, I still find myself behind the wheel of a stick shift car. And I know I can do it. I am no longer afraid.
I share this story to say that in order to cook well, we need to burn a few things. Cooking is a skill that we can learn like driving a car. It can also be a gift that we are born with. The more powerful gift is the time we spend together in the kitchen. Learning the type of cooking that nourishes our family not what wins awards. Although you can with practice do that too.
Cooking feeds our body, mind, and soul. It allows us to control the chemicals, pathogens and preservatives we put into our body. We know who handled our food and if they were sick or pissed off. We can choose to have a relationship with who grew, raised or caught our food.
So tonight I encourage you to connect with your family and friends over a home cooked meal, and save the money you might otherwise spend in restaurants or on processed, prepackaged foods. Believe it or not, making simple and satisfying meals from scratch doesn't have to be hard.
For more tips and tricks follow my blog http://www.maxwellnourished.com/blog or Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/maxwellnourished

0 comments :

Post a Comment